26 October 2014

Gyoza King, Tanjong Pagar

Gyoza King, Tanjong Pagar

Gyoza King sits on the first floor of Orchid Hotel, few shops away from their sister ramen shop Keisuke Tonkatsu King. I've been wanting to try the gyozas for the longest time ever, but I find myself returning to their ramen chain instead. Because after all, gyozas are just like japanese wantons - how can they be compared to ramens with their heavenly broth?

Ultimately, I found myself there for dinner after one of the workdays. There was a short queue which wasn't a concern as it gave me sufficient time to decide on my order! The set menu includes a soup, free flow rice, a set of 5 piece gyozas (chicken, pork or prawn) and choice 2 sides priced at $13.90. The ala carte gyozas go for $8 so I would think getting the set is more worth it! 

And this was how our meal looked like! Looks so appetizing isn't it? Bean sprouts & pickled cabbage are available on the table, for your self service. Condiments of soya sauce,vinegar and chilli oil can be mixed to create a dip for your gyozas. Don't forget to sprinkle lots of sesame seeds on the rice. It makes the japanese rice so irresistible for someone like me who don't usually fancy rice hehe. 

I like how the gyozas and most of the sides are freshly made on the spot! I chose the prawn gyozas and it was really delicious! The succulent prawn meat was rather juicy and didn't have a strong meaty taste that other gyozas might have. It doesn't have as much soup in it though the gyoza skin was crispy on the outside. For my sides, I tried the eggs with chives, fried chicken & sukiyaki pork belly. The sides were generally tasty too & I felt like I had such a wide variety of dishes to eat from! 

I felt that the gyozas were not as outstanding as I'd liked them to be considering it to be the star dish of the shop. However, the meal was completed with their array of side dishes and hence I had enjoyed my meal. For the guys, you might worry if the meal would be filling and I can assure you that it would be! 

Gyoza King has a small and humble space with about 18 bar seats around their open kitchen. Think of it as a typical japanese store & have a little squeeze as you pop in those gyozas! 

Gyoza King is located at
1 Tras Link 
Singapore 078867
#01-15 Orchid Hotel

Daily | 1130-1430, 1800-2230