21 July 2014

Chikuwa Tei

Chikuwa Tei

Just a short post on my lovely lunch on a Sunday afternoon! One of the best places to go for chirashi don in Singapore!! 
The chirashi don set at $25 includes an appetizer, miso soup & fruits. I like how I can request for only salmon & salmon belly on my don as these are my favorite sashimi! They were very very generous with the fish, about 6 thick slices of each which is super worth it for the price! However, I think they scrimped a little on their rice with just a thin layer under the fish. There is also ikura & tamago in the don, which made it doubly yummy! If you were to compare it with Mitsuba's salmon don, Mitsuba is slightly cheaper but I feel that the addition of the fish roe along with the tamago completes the don very nicely!! 

I have also tried their Chawanmushi ($5) and Tara Nabe ($24 ala carte, $26 for a set). I have heard raves about their chawanmushi but I wasn't super impressed with it. Yes, the ingredients were very fresh with crab meat, shrimp, mushrooms and chicken. However, the egg wasn't as creamy as I'd like it to be - slightly too light for me! We also order a Tara Nabe to share, which is also their codfish pot. The soup base was really sweet and full of flavor from the fish and seaweed. The vegetables also soaked up the broth, and making this dish very very comforting. I think it's actually a good dish to be shared whilst every individual have their own chirashi don :) 

They do have a reservation system online where you will receive an immediate confirmation email so it's pretty easy to do so! As I've made a lunch reservation, I've noticed that they have 2 settings available for reservation at 11am and 1pm! :)

Chikuwa Tei is located at
9 Mohammad Sultan Road
Singapore 238959

Daily | 1130-1500, 1800-2200