15 March 2014

Home made Buddae Jiggae

Home made Buddae Jiggae


Buddae Jiggae, otherwise known as Army Stew, is a dish commonly found in many Korean restaurants! I've read from somewhere that this came from the Korean War days, where the Koreans who did not have much food, gathered what they had and created this dish. Hence, you will find that the ingredients inside buddae jiggae are actually really simple, cheap and easy to make! 

I've followed my recipe from noobcook.com, but I'll just provide a summary of how to make it :) 

- Bring 750ml of chicken stock to boil
- In a bowl, have 2 table spoons of gochujang, chilli powder (based on how spicy you want it to be), 2 cloves of chopped garlic/garlic powder, 1 table spoon of sesame oil and mix it well. 
- Put this paste into the chicken stock and stir it such that it is evenly mixed in
- Prepare all the ingredients that you want in your stew! For me I had luncheon meat, sausages, kimchi, Chinese tofu, glass noodles, golden mushrooms and Jin Korean noodles! You can add anything you like in it :) But I would strongly recommend Korean noodles for it to have the springy textured noodles in the stew!! 
- Arrange the ingredients into a pot (I added in the instant noodles at the last 5 mins to ensure it won't be too soggy), and then pour the mixed stock in it. Bring it to boil for about 10-15 mins and you are done!! 

It's quite easy isn't it? I think cooking is about having enough practice! This is the second time I'm preparing this & my preparation time has been cut down to about half :) I personally feel that it is more worthwhile to prepare this at home, rather than paying a hefty price for these basic ingredients at Korean restaurants!